Asthma is not just a simple illness associated with difficulty in breathing. It has no cure but it can be treated and attacks can be prevented as well as managed. Even the most exact factors that cause it are still unidentified. Based on health records, several asthmatics have risked their lives because they were not able to handle the illness when it attacked. There are times that it occurs frequently while there are also times that it only comes once or twice a year, depending on the person’s activity.
Thus, it is significant to grasp and comprehend the changes taking place in asthma including how the person feels and behave during asthma attacks.
Due to unidentified cause of this illness there are several facts and myths about it. Here are some:
First, a person with asthma is triggering the illness in order to get everyone’s attention. In short, it’s just “all in the mind.” This is definitely false. One cannot really fake and act as if they are having asthma attack. However, emotional conditions can provoke it. They are named as globus hystericus, factious asthma and spastic dysphonia.
Second, asthma will later be outgrown by the person. This is false, too. According to statistics, 50 percent of children with this illness were not able to experience it during their teenage life. Yet, asthma may still be active and occur during adulthood.
Lastly, asthma runs in the blood. If the family has history of the illness the next generation could likely acquire it. This is true. There is 70 percent probability that the child may acquire asthma if both of the parents have it while 30 percent chance if one of the parents only. There is 6 percent probability of acquiring the illness if none of the parent has it.